National Suicide Prevention Lifeline: 988
24-hour free and confidential support to callers in crisis; can also provide guidance to loved ones of those with suicidal ideation on how to help. Additional crisis services available at www.suicidepreventionlifeline.org/talk-to-someone-now/
General - Crisis/Non-Crisis
National Suicide Prevention Lifeline: 800-273-8255; 888-628-9454 in Spanish
- 24-hour free and confidential support to callers in crisis; can also provide guidance to loved ones of those with suicidal ideation on how to help. Additional crisis services available at suicidepreventionlifeline.org
Crisis Text Line: Text NAMI to 741741 / www.crisistextline.org
- 24/7 text support with a trained crisis counselor. (Also offered in UK, Canada, Ireland, South Africa.)
HOPELine-Spanish Speaking Crisis Hotline: 800-784-2432
- Offers a free suicide prevention and crisis intervention helpline for adolescents, teens and adults in Spanish. 8 am – 12 am, daily.
International Suicide Hotline Directory: www.suicide.org/international-suicide-hotlines.html
Unites States Local Hotlines: www.suicide.org/suicide-hotlines.html
American Psychiatric Association Answer Center: 1-888-35-PSYCH / 888-357-7924
American Psychological Association Public Education Line: 800-964-2000
NAMI Warmline Directory: www.nami.org
- Warmlines are free, confidential emotional support hotlines staffed by peer-specialists with lived experience with mental health conditions.
Childhelp National Child Abuse Hotline: 800-422-4453 / www.childhelp.org
- Dedicated to meet the physical, emotional, educational, and spiritual needs of abused, neglected and at-risk children. Website offers a “Find a Local Affiliate” locator that offers information on programs.Efforts focused on prevention, intervention, treatment, and community outreach.
Domestic Violence/Sexual Assault
National Domestic Violence Hotline: 800-799-7233 / www.thehotline.org
- 24/7 confidential resource hotline that provides emotional support, local resources, safety plans, etc. for those who are in a domestic violence situation or their loved ones; online chat also availabl
RAINN (Rape, Abuse & Incest National Network): 800-656-4673 / www.rainn.org
- National hotline for survivors of sexual assault and their loved ones. Provides connection to local sexual assault programs, safety planning, and self-care; online chat also available.
Victim Connect: 855-484-2846 / www.victimconnect.org
- Confidential referrals for crime victims to learn about their rights and obtain resources- issues related to case management, mental health, housing needs, compensation, legal services, advocacy, and reporting; also phone and online chat lines that accept calls 8:30 AM – 7:30 PM EST
Center for Relationship and Abuse Awareness: 800-799-7233 / www.stoprelationshipabuse.org
- Operates National Relationship Abuse Hotline 800-799-7233; Provides information and resources about relationship abuse, how to get a restraining order & developing a safety plan.
National Eating Disorders Association: 800-931-2237 / www.nationaleatingdisorders.org
- Offers info & referral helpline for treatment and in person support groups.
National Association of Anorexia Nervosa & Associated Disorders: 630-577-1330 / www.anad.org
- HelpLine for those needing support (M-F; 9 – 5 pm CT); also provides referrals to treatment, in person support groups, recovery mentors and support services such as grocery buddies; also have a YouTube channel.
Proud2Bme: 800-931-2237 (Helpline) / www.nationaleatingdisorders.org/tags/proud2bme
- A service of the National Eating Disorders Association, providing info and resources to promote positive body image and encourage healthy attitudes about food and weight among teens. Offers a toll-free HelpLine as well as online and in person support groups
LGBT National Help Center: 888-843-4564 (Hotline), 800-246-7743 (Youth Talkline), 888-234-7243 (Senior Hotline) / www.glnh.org
- Hours are 4 pm – 12 midnight EST. Each hotline provides skilled peer counseling, info and resources. Also provides peer support through online chats and email; facts/stats/local resources on LGBT+ businesses, lawyers, doctors, and counseling professionals.
(PFLAG) Parents, Families and Friends of Lesbian & Gays: 202-467-8180 / www.pflag.org
- Supports families and friends of LGBT community; provides PFLAG chapter helplines, in person support group meetings and resources. Website also offered in Spanish.
Trevor Lifeline: 866-488-7386 / www.thetrevorproject.org
- 24/7 hotline; Provides crisis intervention, and suicide prevention services to lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender and questioning (LGBTQ) young people ages 13-24. Also provides TrevorSpace: Connects LGBTQ Youth to peer support and community through online forums (trevorspace.org).
- Crisis intervention and suicide prevention services for transgendered individuals (hotline is run by transgendered individuals). Also provides help for individuals wanting to change legal name on passport, license, ID, etc. Calls accepted 7am-1am PST/ 9am-3amCST/ 10am-4am EST. Offers limited Spanish- language service.
LGBTQ Helpline for South Asians: 908-367-3374
S.A.F.E Alternatives: 800-366-8288 / www.selfinjury.com
- Provides info & resources on self-harm; referrals to treatment options and a therapist locator; Phone line has an extension option for adolescents and teens calling in crisis and provides the National Suicide prevention helpline to all other callers in crisis.
Teens and Young Adults
Boys Town National Hotline: 800-448-3000 / www.boystown.org
- 24-hour crisis line for teens and families in need of help: suicide prevention line, parents can call about parenting issues, kids can call about anything – provides referrals and problem-solving; also provides suicide prevention line, referrals, and problem solving (calls answered by trained crisis counselors). Spanish resources available on website; Spanish-language available on hotline.
Trevor Lifeline: 866-488-7386; text line START to 678-678 / www.thetrevorproject.org
- 24/7 hotline, text-line, and online chat; Provides crisis intervention and suicide prevention services for LGBTQ youth ages 13-24, as well as free online educational modules. Spanish-language translation service available.
Thursday’s Child: 800-872-5437 / www.thursdayschild.org
- 24-hour emergency help and information for youths in crisis. Helps children, teens and young adults faced with bullying, eating disorders, self-harm, sexual assault, thoughts of suicide, trafficking, abuse, and abduction and addiction. Provides extensive information on its website and operates a 24/7 youth hotline.
Covenant House/National Runaway Safeline: 800-786-2929 / www.1800runaway.org
- Press “2” for crisis line; “3” for resources. 24-hour confidential crisis and resource line for at-risk teens considering running away from home; serves as a middle-man for teenagers (13-21) and parents, resources for parents of children who have run away, free bus transport home, runaway education; also offers message boards and Live Chat options. Spanish-language available on hotline.
National Safe Place: 502-635-3660 / www.nationalsafeplace.org
- 24-hour service that provides information to immediate help and supportive resources for youth in need. Designates youth-friendly organizations as Safe Place locations. Website maintains a “Find a Safe Place Locator” for teens in a crisis. Text SAFE at your current location to 69866 for help via text (24hrs).
VA Suicide Hotline: 800-273-8255 press 1 / www.suicidepreventionlifeline.org
Veteran Call Center 877-WAR-VETS / 877-927-8387
- Hotline to talk with another combat veteran.
Military Help Line: 888-457-4838 or text MIL1 to 839863 / www.militaryhelpline.org
- 24-hour free, confidential crisis support for military service members, veterans and their families. Accepts Spanish-language calls.
National Call Center for Homeless Veterans: 877-424-3838 / www.va.gov/HOMELESS/NationalCallCenter.asp
- 24/7 assistance for veterans who are homeless or at risk of homelessness.
Military One Source: 800-342-9647 / www.militaryonesource.mil
- Offers a wide range of community resources and phone and text peer to peer support that serves all of DoD, Active Duty, National Guard, and Reserve personnel and their direct family members.
Objective Zero: 202-573-9660 / www.objectivezero.org
- Connects veterans, service members, their families, and caregivers to peer support via voice, video, and text. Also provides free access to wellness resources such as yoga and meditation
TARA (Treatment/Research Advancements for BPD): 888-482-7227 / www.tara4bpd.org
- Offers national helpline, resource & referral center to families and people in recovery from Borderline Personality Disorder. NOTE –Callers will be asked to provide their name and contact information before being able to proceed with services.
Cyber Civil Rights Initiative: 844-878-2274 / www.cybercivilrights.org
- Info and resources for victims of non-consensual pornography (NCP), revenge-porn and other forms of online abuse. Also includes roster of attorneys who may be able to offer low-or pro-bono legal assistance, laws related to NCP. Operates CCRI Crisis Helpline 844-878-2274 for victims of NCP.
Postpartum Support International: 800-944-4773 / www.postpartum.net
- Provides information and resources for postpartum parents (males and females), including loss of a child and other related struggles; also includes an online weekly chat. Offers a non-crisis HelpLine (800) 944- 4773.